Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Three really Good things

One Two Three!
Let's count our gratitudes from Tuesday.
It's that time of year when we harvest our Jerusalem artichokes. (Which, btw, aren't from Jerusalem and aren't an artichoke.)  Steve & I have both been missing them.  So I googled "Anti-candida Jerusalem artichokes" and found out that JA's  are an amazing anti-fungal!  YEAH! 

JA's are a tuber that has a sunflower like plant. We never planted them.  A housemate of ours was a chef & he's the one who discovered they were growing in our garden.  We just leave a few behind after we're done harvesting & they continue to grow.

When cooked they really don't have a taste.  I like them raw & in my salad.  They have a bit of a bite almost like a radish.  They taste the best after being frozen in the ground.  They're great for diabetics because the body doesn't absorb the glucose from a JA.

I told Steve the good news when he got up & he immediately headed out to the garden to harvest enough for a couple of days.
Farmer Steve's harvest.

Fresh out of the garden.

Washed & peeled.
Sautéed.
Steve's breakfast bowl recipe:

Couple of red potatoes, washed & cut into 1/4 " slices
1 Med purple onion
1/2 bell pepper
Couple of Jerusalem artichokes washed, peeled & cut into 1/4" slices
1-3 cloves garlic (we love us some garlic!)
1 TBS olive oil
Rosemary (or whatever spice is available)
Salt & Fresh ground pepper

Using a large frying pan heat olive oil & add all veggies. Saute until onions are clear.  Add spices, salt & pepper.

Continue sauteing until all are done.

Serve & enjoy!

*********************
2.  Mavis Staple tickets
Mavie Staple is on my list of "people to see before I die".  
She's performing this weekend at the Nugget in Sparks for only $32.  Gotta go.
So yesterday I stop to get tickets.  

Roz is working the ticket counter.  "She's almost sold out.  Let me see what I have left."

The Nugget show room is tiny.  Every seat is a good seat.  She's pointing out tables here, there and then gasps.  "OH HONEY!  I've got a booth that JUST OPENED UP!  Right HERE."  She points to a booth that's dead center just behind the orchestra pit.

Me:  "Same price?"
Roz: "Yes!  I've NEVER sold this booth before.  It's normally reserved for higher-ups.  I bet someone in marketing just opened it up and got distracted.  Ohhhhhhh They're going to be sorry that Roz is working today."
Me:  "Grab it Roz.  Do your magic!"
Here's a Youtube of Mavis  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3r2WHjS7iM

**********************
3. Clean flannel sheets on a winter night.
Need I say more?


3 comments:

vegas_chic said...

Wow, congrats on the Staple score, timing is everything. And thanks for the info on the jerusalem artichokes. I've heard of them but never seen them. The breakfast sounds yummy :).

Truly, nothing like flannel on a cold night.

Lisa said...

Sheets...fresh sheets...
There's nothing better than warm
fresh
sheets.

Miss you!

Michelle said...

Can I just say how much I LOVE my flannel sheets?