Friday, January 16, 2009

Splinters, Shopping, Soup and Sushi

I pee.  A lot.
Let's break down the reason I pee so much.
1.  Upon rising: 12-16 oz of water with cranberry concentrate, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup followed by a rinse of same glass with another 10-12 oz of water.
2.  Hot green tea with breakfast.
3.  Hot Pau d'arco tea mid morning
4.  Green drink:  12-16 oz of water followed by a rinse or 2 of the same glass 10-12 oz each time
5.  More hot tea late afternoon.
6.  Water with each meal
7.  Hot chamomile tea in the evening.
All this means I pee.  A lot.
***************************
Thursday is my day off from the store.  I spent most of the day in my pj's.  The only time I got dressed was to take a package to Fed Ex.  (BTW:  Have you ever noticed the arrow between the E X?  You will now.)

I thought I'd hit my two favorite ethnic markets and pick up a few things.  
Big score on cilantro:  2 big bunches for .40!  
And this is leading up to the SPLINTER part of today's blog.

I bought a baby coconut to make thai soup.  
After hacking off the top & pouring out the liquid into the pot I hacked the coconut in half.  
I grabbed both halves and split it. Got the splinter under my thumb nail.  Yeah.  
Here's a tip for you.  When you go to buy a hatchet go to an Oriental market.  That baby is sharp, has it's own cover, is balanced  and is a great weight.  $14!  
*****************
Thai soup recipe

In a large stock pot:

1-2 qts of water
Chicken pieces (this is optional.  You can use any protein.)
1-2 tsp salt
Ground pepper
Juice from 1 coconut, put flesh into small food processor & blend until rice consistency 
Fresh lemon grass cut in 1-2" pieces
1/4 c thai basil (also known as Holy Basil)
1/4 c cilantro
1" fresh ginger peeled & diced small
1-2 tsp ground coriander
1-2 tsp ground cumin
1 hot chili with seeds & veins removed, cut into very tiny tiny pieces
Open crisper & see what veggies you have.  Cut into pieces and add to soup.
1-2 c cooked brown rice (I cook up a big pot of rice every other day so it's always on hand)

Bring to boil & let boil for 15 mins.  Then lower heat & let simmer for a while or until Steve gets home & says "Something smells great".

*********************

I've been wanting to make sushi since we started this anti-candida diet.  Pretty much everything I've read says that sea veggies are a great anti-fungal.  To me sea veggies = sushi.

I bought my sushi roller (the bamboo stick thing that you roll sushi with) at an Asian market years ago.  They're cheap.  I think less that $2.  

I decided to make canned tuna sushi.

In a mini food processor:
1/2" fresh ginger peeled, cubed and cut into chunks
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1/4 c fresh cilantro
1/2 c fresh spinach
1 tsp whole coriander
1 tsp whole cumin
1/4 tsp salt
Blend
Remove blade
Open can of tuna, pour tuna juice into dog's bowl (optional), using fork flake up tuna & put into processor with green mixture.

Step 2:
Open crisper.  See what veggies you've got.
Wash & slice thinly.

Take sushi roller & cover with plastic wrap.  

Lay 1 piece nori on sushi roller
Smush rice onto nori leaving about 1" of nori on all edges clean
Do 1 strip of tuna filling
Lay veggies in strip
Roll.

These will keep for a day or 2.  Of course this means that you'd have to ignore the fact that they're in the fridge calling out to you.

*******************
12:12pm
Rice hand from rolling sushi.

2 comments:

Brightcetera said...

LOL re your comment today!
I don't know what got over me but I just felt like squatting when I heard that song lol

Thanks for the tip on the hatchet. I'll have to check it out. We have lots of asian markets here.
Ouch on the splinter. Only you?

vegas_chic said...

Calling out to you indeed, that's my main problem with leftovers, lol.

I get all my great food prep stuff from either Asian or Mexican markets, like my tortilla press for only $7! Love that thing.

The soup recipe looks great, though I think I'll buy my coconut already prepped after reading your travails!!